Ottery St Mary EX11 1QT
Cadhay is listed by Country Life as ‘one of the top ten manor houses in the country’. It was built in 1550, and is constructed around its central Court of the Sovereigns, so-named because of the carved images of four Tudor monarchs that overlook the court.
We shall have a private guided tour of both the house and the gardens. The house tour takes in the Long Gallery and Roof Chamber, with a brief history of the house and the families who have lived there. The garden tour will include a visit to the mediaeval fish ponds and walled kitchen gardens, followed by a cream tea. The cost is £15, paid for in cash or by credit card.
Toilets (including disabled ones) are available. Teas may be taken in the barn or on the terraces. For more information, see https://cadhay.org.uk
By car: Cadhay lies between the A30 and Ottery St Mary. Approaching on the A30 from the west, leave the A30 at Patteson’s Cross, and follow the signs for Fairmile and Cadhay. Coming from the east, leave the A30 at the Iron Bridge turnoff and then proceed as above. Cadhay is approached from Fairmile Lane by a long tree-lined drive. Parking is in a field on the right.
By public transport: There is no bus calling at Cadhay. The only option is to get the 4/4A bus to the hospital at Ottery St Mary and then walk almost a mile to Cadhay.
Meet: In the car park (Grid reference for Cadhay: 091962 on OS Landranger 192 and OS Explorer 115) at 1.30 p.m.